Over these past 2 years we have seen Tik tok grow as a platform impacting many people, especially artists. Tik tok has has made its way through, impacting the music industry making it a tool for music artists and record labels . Marketers have even gone as far as hiring “Influencers” to promote these artists’ music.These artists have become popular due to their songs becoming Tik tok audios and then reproduced thousands of times per minute. Today we are going to be discussing the 3 top female artists who have become popular on tik tok and how they are continuing to expand their fame on other platforms. 

1.Olivia Rodrigo- “Driver’s license”

Olivia Rodrigo the 18 year old singer and actress made her single debut “drivers license” on January 8, 2021. It became a top 10 on billboard on February 29 ,2021 after gaining popularity on Tik tok , right now she has over 10.8M followers on Tik tok and 8M on Spotify . After the song came out ,many Fans speculated that the song was in regards to her ex-boyfriend and co-star Joshua Basset after he released his own single called “lie,lie,lie”. Although these rumors have not been confirmed or debunked, fans still like to think the song is about Joshua Basset. Just recently Olivia was interviewed by Interview Magazines explaining how she feels about her becoming very successful on Tik tok and how she’s hit top 10 on billboard,

-“If I went on Tik Tok, I would literally be on there for five hours and I’d get nothing done. So I can’t. But all of my friends send me the funniest Tik Toks. People are just so talented. I think the biggest honor as a songwriter is having a song that you wrote be interpreted by different people and have them write their versions of it. That’s so flattering.” –

Olivia Rodrigo's 2021 VMAs Looks Incorporated So Many Butterflies | Allure
Image Courtesy of Allure

“I would just be in my house refreshing the Spotify page over and over. It just kind of came out of the gate running. It was one thing to see all the numbers and the charts, but I think the moment that I knew really early on that maybe this was going to be something big was when it was next to Taylor Swift on the iTunes charts. It was her two bonus tracks off of “Evermore”, and then “Drivers License.” And I am the hugest Taylor Swift fan ever. I posted that on Instagram and she actually commented on the picture, which was super cool. That was really the moment where I was like, “Whoa, this is something big.”

2.Megan Thee Stallion- “Savage”

Megan Thee Stallion the 26 year old female rapper and songwriter became popular when she released her song “Savage remix” (Ft. Beyonce) on April 29, 2020. It started becoming popular on Tik tok as the ” Savage Challenge” , a dance challenge created by 19 year old Keke Wilson who became popular by making a single Tik tok video. The song reached #1 on US Billboard Hot 100 on May 26, 2020, becoming Megan’s first and Beyonce’s seventh number one single. Megan currently has over 9.5M followers on Tik tok and 24M on Instagram. She also did an interview with Entertainment Tonight telling her experience with Beyonce and how crazy it was meeting her. “

“It’s really crazy ‘cause like, my mama was like a really huge fan of like Beyoncé and she used to make me watch a lot of Beyoncé stuff,” Megan revealed. “And it’s like, when I met her I was like, ‘Oh my God.’ And I ain’t wanna be like, ‘Oh my God, Beyoncé, me and my mama love you.’”She continued, “This sh*t is crazy — And it’s just like, for Beyoncé to even do a song with me — I really only been out for like two years. This is the beginning of year number two. Like, Beyoncé? It’s really crazy.

3. Doja cat – “Say So”

Doja cat the 25 year old female rapper and songwriter became widely known when she released her single debut ” Say So” on January 28, 2019. This song gained lots of popularity after a Tiktoker by the name of Haley Sharpe posted a dance video on December of 2019 making it a dance challenge. “Say so” reached top 10 on Billboard Hot 100 along with Megan Thee Stallion making them both Billboard chart history. Doja currently has 13.2M followers on Tik tok and 10M on Spotifiy. Her song “Say So” has over 270 million views on YouTube which made it a YouTube viral track.

Although many artists had a somewhat of a following base before tiktok they are still continuing to expand there fame by using this platform to there advantage . Whether artists or people use it to dance , write songs or show there talents, it’s safe to say that Tik tok is a good place to express yourself.